annehart

annehart

Here are the links to the best of Dr. Neal Barnard's videos on integrative nutrition and food addiction online related to the topic of foods that lessen or worsen pain. Sugar, chocolate, cheese, and meat are the most addictive foods. Sugar and cheese release the brain's opiates such as dopamine, causing addiction to a particular food, ingredient, or additive.

You also may wish to check out my paperback book, Neurotechnology with Culinary Memoirs from the Daily Nutrition & Health Reporter by Anne Hart (Oct 10, 2008). At this date, the book is listed at Amazon.com.

If you follow Dr. Neal Barnard's videos on integrative nutrition and food addiction, you'll hear that meat is addictive as is certain types of cheeses. Sugar and chocolate are most addictive. Then comes cheese and meat. I've been a vegan since 1981, vegetarian since 1959. Science is constantly changing, so I enjoy reading the latest studies on what various foods may contribute to, and whether the science and various studies change and how the studies on what foods are healthiest for some people change as the decades pass, for example between the 1950s and the present.

For example, dairy products contribute to arthritis, and Americans eat one million animals per hour, according to the author of the book, Foods That Fight Pain, by Neal Barnard M.D. See the doctor's Google videos inserted at the bottom of this article.

Type 2 diabetes is becoming a major public health concern worldwide. However it has been demonstrated that prevention programs can significantly reduce the risk of developing diabetes. The challenge depends upon a multidisciplinary collaboration.

Neal Barnard, M.D., is president of the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine and editor-in-chief of Good Medicine. He is an active clinical researcher and author of numerous scientific publications. Dr. Barnard travels widely giving lectures on nutrition and health.

There's an article online excerpted with permission from Dr. Bernard's book, Foods That Fight Pain. See the article, "Foods that Fight Pain." According to the site, Dr. Barnard notes, "Nutrients work against pain in four ways. They can reduce damage at the site of injury, cool your body's inflammatory response, provide analgesia on pain nerves themselves, and even work within the brain to reduce pain sensitivity." Click on the links to some of Dr. Barnard's numerous videos online.

According to the Back Pain Release site, "F. Batmanghelidj, M.D., says that many types of pain are due to chronic dehydration in the body. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day can help reduce pain all over the body. It helps flush out toxins, lubricates and cushions your joints, helps relieve congestion and keeps your body in balance."

The Back Pain Release site notes that, "According to Neal Barnard, M.D., author of several books on the healing properties of foods, certain foods are excellent painkillers, especially green leafy vegetables and beans.  The following foods help cool the body's inflammatory response, act as analgesics on pain nerves and work within the brain to reduce sensitivity."

A raw, vegan dinner

To prepare a raw, vegan dinner in ten minutes, give or take a few, you'll have to soak your garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds in a covered jar or bowl in your refrigerator the day before. If you're aiming for a diet that's 50 percent raw foods, start with this six course dinner, and eat small portions.

Then at that same time, mince all the vegetables you won't be soaking and store them covered in your refrigerator. If you've finished doing the prep work, the next day, a raw foods vegan dinner will only take you about 10 minutes to put together.

Just blend the cold soups, pour into bowls, and mix the salad. Blend to liquefy the dessert smoothie. You'll have two soups, a salad, a garbanzo dip, and a mango smoothie for dessert. For variety another day, use lentils that you have soaked overnight in water and are just beginning to sprout instead of the garbanzo beans/chick peas for the same recipe.

Raw tomato-parsley-olive soup

3 red home-grown, hot house, or on-the-vine tomatoes
4 Tbs. water
juice of one lemon
dozen black sundried pitted olives
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 green onion or tablespoon of chopped red onion

Add all ingredients to your blender, liquefy, and serve cold.

Cucumber and Greens Soup

6 small cucumbers, peeled and chopped
2 green onions or one tablespoon of chopped red or yellow onions and ½ teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh dill
1/4 cup fresh parsley ½ cup chopped dark green kale ½ cup chopped spinach
3 cups romaine lettuce, broken into small pieces
2 peeled and sliced avocados
pinch of turmeric, pinch of fresh black pepper

Blend everything together in a cup of vegetable juice or ½ cup of water.

Great Grandma’s Fennel Salad

Soak the sundried tomatoes in a jar or covered bowl the night before. You can soak them in a high-quality oil, water, or vegetable juice with your favorite spices such as curry, turmeric, garlic powder, pepper, or finely ground celery seed or add a pinch of herbs such as dill, oregano, or sage.

3 cups of thinly sliced fennel tossed with 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil, or macadamia nut oil
dozen sundried tomatoes, soaked overnight in oil, water, or juice. Chop and toss tomatoes in the olive, grapeseed, or macadamia nut oil. Toss the salad and serve with lemon juice dressing and your favorite spices.

Totally Raw Garbanzo/Chick Pea Dip

First soak/sprout a cup of raw, dried garbanzo beans overnight in a covered jar or bowl of water to soften the chick peas/garbanzo beans. They can be sprouted up to three days, but overnight is best. To that same jar add and handful raw sunflower seeds to soak and slightly sprout overnight and a handful of raw pumpkin seeds. Do not use roasted seeds.

Ingredients

Juice of one lemon
Two minced cloves of peeled garlic
One cup of chopped flat parsley
Two table spoons of only one oil—extra virgin olive, flaxseed, macademia nut, walnut or avocado oil
Sprinkle of dulse and sprinkle of raw sesame seeds
Pinch of black pepper or cayenne, pinch of dulse, pinch of minced onion or onion powder, pinch of celery seed, pinch of cumin

Put all ingredients except the chopped parsley into your food processor and process until you have a paste the consistency of a dip. If you don’t have a food processor and don’t want to make a paste in your blender, hand mash the chick peas to a paste consistency and then add the other minced and chopped ingredients, lemon juice, spices, and oil.

Eat right away or store in your refrigerator for up to three days. Use this raw food dip on vegetables such as celery stalks and carrots or use on bread as you would mayonnaise or butter. Note: for variety, you can soak lentils and use them in the same way as you'd use garbanzo beans/chick peas in this recipe.

Mango Papaya Pomegranate Cranberry Cherry Dessert Smoothie

1 and 1/2 cups pomegranate juice or ½ cup cherry juice and ½ cup pomegranate juice mixed  with ½ cup cranberry juice
1 cup papaya
1 large mango
1-2 tsp. spirulina, barley green, green kamut powder, or wheat grass juice powder or a handful of clean sunflower sprouts
1 tsp. (choose only one oil) high-quality extra virgin olive oil, macademia nut oil, walnut oil, lecithin granules, or avocado oil and a handful of raw sesame seeds

Blend all ingredients and liquefy. Drink as a dessert smoothie.

In tough, timorous, or tame economic times, the family that eats together weets together.

(Definition of weet: verb, to know; to wit. (imp. Wot.), according to Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, C & G. Merriam Co. To weet is the solution to family bantering at the dinner table (if families have time to eat on the same schedule) or balancing friends and family.

Food is medicine. So is relaxing or motivational music that enhances concentration. Here's how they work in tandem for enhancing both memory and digestion along with conversation and body language.

Neurotechnology can help to balance friends and family by motivating the listener's yearning to learn, think, relax, de-stress, focus, and inspire as food, conversation, and music all become interactive healing tools at the table.

To weet is to listen to calming classical or ambient instrumental music played appropriately at low volume in the background while families eat, converse, and connect. To weet is to know how to have non-toxic family togetherness at mealtimes. To weet is to wit and to know. Knowledge, of course is power. Food sharing creates long-term memories. Think of reunions, last suppers, and camping.

For a solution to your family eating together issues, see the Advanced Brain Technologies site, featured in the State of the Brain Fitness Software Market 2009 Report, published May 4, 2009. And check out the Brain Fitness Authority site called, "Sharp Brains." They offer a newsletter and a guide to brain fitness. See their Brain Fitness and Cognitive Health June 2009 issue.

Nourish the mind to maximize potential of your family. "Advanced Brain Technologies (ABT) is a neurotechnology company that develops and distributes interactive software and music-based programs for the improvement of memory, attention, listening, academic skills, sensory processing, brain health, peak performance and more."

CDs for relaxation, inspiration, learning, motivation, de-stressing, and thinking contain selected classical instrumental music with timing of 50-60 beats per minute. When you listen to music played at 50-60 beats per minute, your heart rate adjusts to synchronize with the beats of the music, slowing down slightly. And your brain waves also synchronize in regularity and balance following the rhythm of those ideal 50-60 beats per minute of the music. The electrical system of your entire body adjusts to be in sync with specific musical rhythms.

Knowledge leads to understanding how empathy and not the feeling of powerlessness in a family setting influence digestion at mealtimes. To weet is to know how eating together, sharing that communal meal creates great family memories that last a lifetime for each member.

You remember the conversation and food around a family table longer than you remember the times your parents took you to theme parks, movies, or sports events.

Food and music can be great catalysts for positive togetherness. Families are forever, like keepsake albums. There's a major research study underway at Howard University in Washington, DC, being conducted by Dr. Jay R. Lucker of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. The study is looking at the behavioral and brain mapping changes in auditory information processing following The Listening Program® from Advanced Brain Technologies.

The study focuses on "Auditory Processing and Voice Production Abilities Following a Sound Intervention Training Program." Check out the Advanced Brain Technologies forums and videos as well as training programs and audios. Family mealtime also is about listening, not only to the conversation, but also to the body language and gestures.

What's spoken by each member over a plate of food affects all the other members in different ways. Listening to conversation changes when the speakers also are listening to background music that creates moods, tones, and textures that influence digestion.

How many family members today have the time schedules that permit all of them to sit down together for a communal meal with a common purpose and goal? And when they do gather, does each family member make sure that whatever is said brings out the best voice of confidence, family trust, connectedness, communication, tact, respect, resilience, and highest potential in any other family member?

Does each family member put the next one down so he or she can pick himself or herself up? Or do family members focus conversation at the dinner table (or kitchen table) on getting emotionally closer and creating memories around the table that will be recalled with smiles and joy long after parents are gone?

Is sibling rivalry or one spouse’s envy/jealousy of the other’s achievements or education channeled into reaching one’s own goals? Each family member steps to a different drummer. When you sit down to a family meal, do you applaud those personality differences that lead to diverse, but safe and secure lifestyle choices?

Happiness is about inspiring the other family member to be all that he or she can be. The ideal of a family having meals together at the same time and table represents an ambiance of joy, communication, grace, and thanksgiving. It’s a time when members of a family can sit down together and enjoy conversation, laughter,  concentration, good health, listening, great digestion, calmness, and conviviality.

If you had to buy one CD to play during family mealtimes, let it be Advanced Brain Technologies collection of six CDs of classical instrumental music in one package for thinking, learning, relaxing, de-stressing, motivating, or inspiring. If you can't afford to buy a CD collection (six CDs) then download the alternative, free MP3 audio files of Bach's classical Baroque music at the Brandenburg Concertos site.

Some families say “Grace” or their own spirituality's equivalent before a meal to offer thanks for the food to a power higher than the self. Other families meditate for a few minutes on their culinary bounty.

Families can find a time when all members could sit together for conversation as a way to learn or open up questions for discussion without fear of reprisal, blame, or rejection. How many families make mealtime a place where people can feel good about themselves while discussing a topic valuable to that family or to anyone else?

Some recall dinners at grandma’s table, when not only the family, but extended family members would gather in one place, usually on a weekend, on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, for dinner. In the summertime, a noon picnic in a park-like setting might be the place for all members of a family, perhaps some friends or neighbors, and any extended family members, would gather to eat, relax and play.

Other families had backyard barbeques. There might be recorded or live music in a backyard from the children who were taking music lessons on some instrument—a guitar, accordion, clarinet, violin, flute, even a portable piano keyboard. At Susan’s house, a childhood friend whose mom owned a music store and taught cello, piano, and violin, the backyard picnic with family members also included the teenage daughter and her friends.

The year? 1956. The place? Beachfront, on the Atlantic ocean, on the fourth of July....A family meal together meant a musical meal—classical music. Susan played cello. Her mom played violin. That’s what a typical family meal had been like—each family member joining in together for a meal and conversation. Each family member analyzed a topic as communication linked all of us toward that connectedness that proposed a commitment to a goal.

We pledged we’d all meet again in fifty years and talk about what gave us the most joy of life. And after the food had been consumed and the conversation focused on our junior high school being done and looking forward to high school—10th grade in September, and possible careers, Susan and I both avidly joyous with playing classical Baroque-style music, yes, at age 14, walked with the family members, along the shoreline as waves lapped at our heels.

Each took our pet companions. My childhood yellow Labrador retriever and Susan’s chocolate Labrador retriever, at that time, male and female dogs that played together as the dogs scampered along the beach.

Do families eat together anymore? And do they make time for conversation that brings out the best of joy, grace, laughter, analysis, connectedness, or best of all, a feeling of hope? Does a meal together encourage, inspire, and motivate each family member to have his or her own voice of confidence and resilience? This voice of self-trust could last for a lifetime. And it all depends upon what family members say to one another at the communal meal.

Eating together doesn’t necessarily have to be a religious or spiritual experience, it can be a humanistic experience based on empowering each family member with trust, conscience, and connectedness. Or it can be a religious experience about being in a communal environment where food and beverage represents sustenance, a life-giving force that the protector of the family offers to each member as in power in numbers.

And even if the family is only about two or three people sitting down to a meal, the feeling that you’re not alone and that it is okay to have your own point of view and your own preferences for media, entertainment, work, hobby, or study is great because each family member is really about showing you where the information is that you can use to make sure you’re doing what makes you happy, healthy, and stable in the long run.

What lesson have you learned from sitting down to a family meal together with your parents? How has it changed the way you eat together currently with your own spouse and children or family members, including any older relatives living with you?

All too often, family conversation at the dinner table, if members ever have the same time schedules for eating together sounds something like this conversation (experienced as a guest at an individual’s family gathering):

Dad
Are you going to eat all that food you put on your plate?

Mom
I only weigh 120 pounds. This is my only meal of the day. Do I have to defend it?

Teenage Child
How come you two are always arguing?

Mom
I’m not arguing. I’m only informing my husband what brings me joy and happiness.

Dad
That’s enough. Everybody out. I’m going to eat in my room. You're all eating me out of house and home. Food and money are scarce around here nowadays.

Mom
Sounds like the take-away-man. I need a vacation. I’m going to eat alone in a restaurant tomorrow. So I can get some relaxation. Eating with all of you gives me a stomach ache or a panic attack. I always feel put down at the table so he can build himself up. I guess it’s his inferiority complex and jealousy at my dream job and his lack of one. Don't you turn on me now that you've become a rebellious teen.

Teenage Child
Now you know why I don’t ever want to get married or have kids to grow up and spit in my face. I might get a take-away-man like you did who always seems to begrudge you anything that brings you joy. He doesn’t even allow conversation at the table.

Mom
That’s probably because his parents all ate at separate times or ate together and usually fought at the table. Remember that public sign in the breakfast place that said, "Absolute Silence While Eating Please?" The dining place was on that travel show...In England, I think.

Teenage Child
Dad told me that his mom threatened to stick a fork in his eye, like on that Soprano’s TV series episode, if he didn’t eat his vegetables. Hey, mom, we learned in school that a man treats his wife just like he treats his mom and his sister, especially if they have nothing in common.

Mom
Really? You have to walk a mile in his shoes and see why he acts that way. I bet the vegetables tasted bitter. Some people are just born with a gene that makes vegetables taste bitter to them. But don’t worry. We can eat together at the church luncheon on Sunday. In public, everybody will be on his or her best mood as far as conversation. What we all need is a little laughter around mealtime. Finish your vegetables, dear. I put the fruit and vegetables together to bring some sweetness to your plate.

Here’s a solution to this frequent mealtime issue.

Put on classical music of the 17th or 18th century. Enjoy it. Or use a world music beat that makes you get up and dance around the dinner table. Music puts your brain on the right hemisphere track. It’s the hemisphere that seeks harmony, serenity, and joy. So get out of your left brain hemisphere at mealtime and put a little music, dance, and joy into your digestion.

What works best? While you and your family eat and speak together, also play on your computer, iPod, CD, or MP3 player (according to Wikipedia), the  Brandenburg concertos by Johann Sebastian Bach, BWV 1046–1051, original title: "Six Concerts à plusieurs instruments."

These are a collection of six instrumental works presented by Bach to Christian Ludwig, margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt, in 1721 (though probably composed earlier). They are widely regarded, according to Wikipedia, "as among the finest musical compositions of the Baroque era." Don't play music with lyrics while you're trying to talk.

Instrumentals can play softly as gentle background music to your conversations. And if you don't have a family, invite people with whom you get along to share a meal with you in order to make close friends.

You may wish to check out my paperback book, Neurotechnology with Culinary Memoirs from the Daily Nutrition & Health Reporter by Anne Hart (Oct 10, 2008). At this date, the book is listed at Amazon.com.

The music works great on the brain to produce a feeling of joy of life. This might put a smile on the face of each family member at the dinner table. The conversation after is likely to be uplifting as the music.

Download the MP3 audio files at the Brandenburg Concertos site. Or link to the podcast. The free downloads are posted by the Czech Radio D-dur, Vinohradska 12120 99 Prague 2, Czech republic.

Link to Brandenburg Concertos podcast