annehart

annehart

Do writers need college degrees in creative writing to become known instead of unknown published authors?

Photo and book by Anne Hart.

I wish community colleges would have offered 4-year degrees in the 1950s because I would have had the chance to attend for little cost instead of having to work full time for six years to pay for my 4-year degree and work another 3 years to pay for my graduate school M.A. in English, none of which led to a tenured teaching job or a secure job in publishing or public relations with a company, the government, or a publication or publishing house where people could have worked for 40 years or more in one job, which was my dream back in 1959.

Come to think of it, being a librarian in a university would have been what I would have liked most, the quietude of working in a medical or law school as a librarian or being a librarian in a school devoted to graduate work in some field that was very marketable....oh, well....time moves forward. The only job I found that wasn't only temporary for a few weeks to replace someone on vacation or leave was selling ads on the phone for $1.65 an hour back in the early 1970s, and it wasn't secure or one day a year or so filling in for community college teachers in my field of choices....creative writing...that also was temporary, perhaps one or two days a year.

No tenure made me think I chose the wrong college major, but I so loved the creative writing major in graduate school. My school didn't offer the MFA back then, only the MA. Now they offer the MFA. But there was a lot of talk among students about age discrimination in teaching back then, which shut out a lot of women who wanted jobs but were told to apply for adult education jobs, another temporary category, teaching people at senior centers how to write their life stories. But I had all these novels and plays written back then....

Oh, well...Should have majored in library science, but so many librarians nowadays can't find jobs that last very long. Then again, I loved working in quiet settings such as librarians or museums.