annehart

annehart

Senior citizens on computers create communication connections without having to spend energy on talking to people all day

Cyber-Seniors is a documentary film that chronicles the extraordinary journey of a group of senior citizens as they discover the world of the Internet through the guidance of teenage mentors. There's a trailer on YouTube about the film. But overlooked were seniors like me, who first started taking computer courses in 1974, bought my first computer in 1981, and write several books on robotics in the early to mid 1980s. When I mentioned teaching online at my Sunday afternoon seniors book club for readers of mystery fiction (mostly female) at the library, people looked at me like I was talking about something so strange and unfamiliar to them. Seems nobody else there was taking courses on how to operate these computers in the 1980s or before....amazing.

There were no senior citizens in multimedia in my groups of book readers back then. But I had a female teacher in my computer class (in a community college course) way back in 1974, ten years after my graduation from NYU. Why weren't more women my age into doing their writing or teaching journalism or creative writing courses online when online teaching became available in 1996? Just me? Can't be. (I went online in February 1995, only two months before Netscape offered the first web browser.) Then I discovered the whole new world of writing about robotics educational news...back in the mid-1980s. At last more women over 70 or 75 are using computers for creative expression in writing, art, or music, or teaching online, and of course, multimedia.

Cyber-Seniors is a documentary film that chronicles the extraordinary journey of a group of senior citizens as they discover the world of the Internet through the guidance of teenage mentors. There's a trailer on YouTube about the film: 'Cyber Seniors' Trailer (2014). But overlooked were seniors like me, who first started taking computer courses in 1974, bought my first computer in 1981, and wrote several books on robotics in the early to mid 1980s. When I mentioned teaching online at my Sunday afternoon seniors book club for readers of mystery fiction (mostly female) at the library, people looked at me like I was talking about something so strange and unfamiliar to them. Seems nobody else there was taking courses on how to operate these computers in the 1980s or before....amazing.

There were no senior citizens in multimedia in my groups of book readers back then. But I had a female teacher in my computer class (in a community college course) way back in 1974, ten years after my graduation from NYU. Why weren't more women my age into doing their writing or teaching journalism or creative writing courses online when online teaching became available in 1996? Just me? Can't be. Then I discovered the whole new world of writing about robotics educational news...back in the mid-1980s. At last more women over 70, 75, 80 or beyond are using computers for creative expression in writing, art, or music, or teaching online, and of course, multimedia.

One point enjoyed about teaching, writing, creating art, or playing music online is that you don't have to spend precious energy on talking to people all day that can wear out some people used to and preferring to be for long hours in quiet spaces. There's even text to speech software to put into spoken words your latest essay that turns it into a talk, presentation, or seminar on a subject of your expertise when you don't feel like speaking for long stretches of time. Check your search engine with key words, "text-to-speech-software" and see what's available and/or reviewed for offering "natural voices" type software.